Naming your business is like naming your Child!
“It’s like choosing a name for your child.
It is that important that you have to get it right.”
“I can think of few things more painful than naming four good things about yourself in front of a room of journalists!”
Choosing a name for your Company?It’s like choosing a name for your child. It is that important that you have to get it right.
You will brainstorm a whole list of possibilities with people around you, probably putting some very unlikely words together. You will start to notice what others have named their businesses.
The first thing to consider when thinking about a business name, is to consider your vision, values and passions. Your business name should reflect these.
What do you want to be known for?
- What is your vision?
- What are your values? Maybe it is your expertise,
- affordability, quality or type of materials that you use, fun, handmade etc.
- What are you passionate about?
“It is that important that you have to get it right!”
Where to start
Write down a list of descriptive words to do with your vision, values and passions. By working with these words, you will discover a business name that best fits you.
Think about brands that you really like. For me, they include Apple, Boost, Virgin. Also think about brands that don’t work so well for you.
When you’ve decided.
When you finally decide on the right name, you will need to do a quick check:-
- Is it easy to spell and pronounce. Avoid quirky spellings such as Innov8;
- Is it easy to remember. You need to make it as easy as possible for people to find you online;
- Is it future proof? Just like choosing a name for your child, consider how it will sound in 20 years time;
- Is the name still available? Check Companies House. Your trading name can always be different to the registered company name if it has already been used;
- Check if the domain name exists;
- Check out the competition – who is already using this name?
Once you have your name. Test it out on friends and business contacts, but be thick skinned! Many of them will love it and many will hate it, but that doesn’t make it wrong. Your business name will be your unique choice based on how you see yourself and your company.
For more great ideas and things to think about when starting your new business take a look at this great article from Porch about starting a small business from home. Porch also offer some great services for home owners.
Now the fun begins with designing your logo – good luck and enjoy!